09 August 2006

Francisco de Goya, The Third of May


              National Day Parade

              I had a small part in a
              Big show of a great little nation.
              My uniformed mates and I were
              To march out, swing left,
              Turn twice, and get off the grounds
              In twenty seconds flat.
              Meanwhile the music boomed,
              The lasers splashed,
              And the darkened crowds hit
              A new high of pre-planned,
              Programmed excitement.
              Later at home, my mother replayed
              The video tape five times
              But couldn't tell her tiny toy-
              Soldier son from any of the rest.
              "That one is me," I said,
              Pointing at the screen.
              I couldn’t be sure.
              Still we laughed and clapped
              Our hands like children,
              Knowing that it was never
              Supposed to matter.
posted by Gilbert at Wednesday, August 09, 2006

8 Comments:

Blogger Alson Teo said...

This is one of my many favourite poems by Gilbert Koh. Simply love it. :)

August 05, 2005  
Blogger Amy said...

I really like the speaker's determination to find himself in the video, his desire to literally point at himself, to distinguish himself from the others, even though he can't recognize himself among the many.

August 09, 2005  
Blogger Gilbert Koh said...

Sorry folks. In recent months, I've been neglecting poetry in general, and this blog in particular. Nothing new to post. But since today is National Day, I thought I'd repost this old poem.

August 09, 2006  
Blogger lakeside girl said...

It still makes me smile. :)

Waiting patiently for your updates, take care gilbert!

August 10, 2006  
Blogger MB said...

Thanks, Gilbert. It's nice to see you when you can be here.

August 10, 2006  
Blogger mrdes said...

Thanks again, old is gold:-)

August 10, 2006  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

yes, it's still gold, gilbert. :)

August 10, 2006  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Liz of blueskytavern.blogspot has been featured on LivingInPoetry blog.

Please do check out the Living In Poetry blog

September 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home