24 June 2006


            Poor Speaker

            I have a habit of mumbling.
            My tongue grows thick and I myself can hear
            how from my mouth
            one word emerges indistinctly into the next,
            like porridge poured onto other
            shapeless porridge.
            This often happens when I am caught
            in one of those social situations
            where I need most
            to appear sophisticated, intelligent and articulate,
            in other words, those occasions
            when people talk too much,
            say too little and hardly listen at all.
            At such times, in a certain ironic way,
            the incomprehensible sounds
            escaping my lips
            are in fact the most appropriate things
            I could possibly say.
posted by Gilbert at Saturday, June 24, 2006

4 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

I like your sophisticated, intelligent and articulate sense of irony, Gilbert!

June 24, 2006  
Blogger prayingbudda said...

i still think you're the fab-est!

and all the best for your writing exercise(:

June 24, 2006  
Blogger Gilbert Koh said...

Thank you, both. I appreciate the encouragement, especially because I'm suffering through a dry spell right now.

June 27, 2006  
Blogger dawndie said...

I really love this poem! Especially that bit "...talk too much, say too little..." It sounds so much like so many people I know.

July 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home