25 May 2006


              Swimming

              My breath
              is bubbling
              …………nonsense
              ……talkative
              ………but my body's
              a silent shadow
              ……… gliding on the blue
              ………………….. of pool bottom.
              …. Flecks of sun dance
              breathlessly
              ……….on my skin
              …….but in my ears
              there is only gurgling,
              ……silence,
              …………gurgling, silence,
              as i submerge,
              ………….emerge, submerge,
              ……..emerge merge
              with the arc of
              ………breaststroke
              ………………..pulls.
              Those of you who fly
              …………………will mock my
              ….sluggish strokes
              and call me
              ……….a poor little frog
              but i'm really just
              ……………….a very lazy whale
              ………..with one lifetime
              to cross
              …..my oceans.
posted by Gilbert at Thursday, May 25, 2006

5 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous Poet said...

Wonderful. I can't discern any particular structure, here. But the effect on the tongue is a wonderful musicality.

May 25, 2006  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

gilbert,
i love the structure of the poem, the way the words zig-zag across the page, as like the reflection of light on water.

the ending was great. " a very lazy whale with one lifetime to cross my oceans."

May 28, 2006  
Blogger floots said...

echo that
love the ending
that simple possessive extends the whole thing and takes it into metaphor

May 29, 2006  
Blogger Gilbert Koh said...

thanks everyone. I like to think I can swim faster nowadays but I know I'm just kidding myself.

May 29, 2006  
Blogger dreamer idiot said...

The experience of swimming...yeah, i enjoy it too. :)

May 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home